Thursday, February 6, 2014

THE UGLY NAIL PROJECT - DAY 1

Time to put my big girl pants on and come clean.  My name is Jessica and I have ugly nails.  I am not a nail bitter or a peeler - I simply have ugly, slow growing, dry, thin nails that break if you glance at them or fold back like origami.  I feel like I have tried just about every product under the sun to "make it work" and I know I cannot be alone in this plight so I have decided to put together the Ugly Nail Project, #uglynailproject on Twitter.

THE MISSION: To see what products give the best results.

THE PLAN: I will report my findings every week with progress.  Because my nails take forever to grow, see my rant above, I will be using the same routine for a month or two and then switch it up after that to see if something works better.

THE STARTING POINT: Okay, so here goes...pictures of my nails in their "natural" state.  Can I just crawl in a hole somewhere?  Mortified!

GETTIGN STARTED: I wanted a clean slate so I cleaned them up as best I could by soaking each hand for about 10 minutes in soapy warm water and then trimming the cuticles with cuticle trimmers I picked up at Target.  I then tried to even out the edges, what little there are, with a crystal nail file.  I have heard that a crystal nail file is easier on your nails than a typical emery board and given the delicate nature of my nails I am testing this crystal vs. emery theory.

Now that everything was looking trimmed and clean, I applied some cuticle oil, gently rubbed it in, and then let it set for about 10 minutes.  Once the 10 minutes were up I washed my hands with soap again and applied nail strengthener polish and let it dry.  After it was dry I applied a second coat of nail strengthener polish and let it dry again.  Finally I applied another layer of the cuticle oil since my skin was SO dry.  The results of all of this effort are pictured below; not a miracle visually but they feel a million times better.

NEXT STEPS: This week daily I will be using the cuticle oil once in the morning and once at night on my cuticles as well as taking a Biotin vitamin.  The polish strengthener will remain on my nails until the next check in.  Wish me luck!

Have some nail care tips?  Leave a comment below!


PRODUCTS USED:
Biotin (consult your doctor before use)



No comments:

Post a Comment

The BeautifulGorgeousDarling Makeup blog is a place for people from all ages and stages in life so please refrain from use of profanity. Thank you for your comments!