Friday, January 31, 2014

BENEFIT THEY'RE REAL MASCARA - PRODUCT REVIEW

Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Gosh, I don't even know where to begin with this one.  Of all the mascaras I've tried this has to be one of my top 3 favorites for performance, wear, cost (check out my calculations below), and the amount of use you can get from just one tube.  Benefit did us all a favor when they made this mascara, Really!



THE PACKAGING: Let's be Real!  When it comes to that coveted makeup bag space what can fit in can often determine how often it's used.  While this mascara is just slightly smaller in diameter at its widest point than the beast CoverGirl Lash Blast packaging, it is a shorter, stubbier tube compared to most mascaras.  Just short enough that I can fit a pencil sharpener in the spot where a normal mascara would occupy.  So to me, that is a win.  I like the chrome finish as it adds a sleek quality but I do not think this particular style fits in with the typical Benefit line.



THE BRUSH: This applicator is not your typical fiber bristle brush.  Instead is has a rubber-like brush which really picks up a ton of product so you do not have to dip back into the tube over and over during your application.  In fact, I can usually do one full coat on both top and bottom of both eyes without having to double-dip.  One of the few mascaras where you can get an even application doing that, in my opinion.  The bristles at the tip of the brush are also a little different in that they cover the whole tip.  This is intended adding volume to the base of your lash-line if you apply this with the applicator vertical and brush up rather than your typical horizontal hold.  It also helps get into the corner of the eyes both inner and outer.  The bristles are closer together and thinner so they help to coat your lashes and spread them a bit.  The wand itself is a little shorter than a usual mascara which adds additional stiffness to the wand.




APPLICATION: This formula is simply delicious.  It is not overly thick so I have yet had to clean my brush for a good application like some other mascaras need once in a while.  I still find I have to run a lash brush through after application if I really want my lashes separated, but it is a minor marrying of lashes unlike other volumizing formulas.

The black is a really wonderful black.  It does have a slight tint of blue in natural light.

Okay, so let's talk staying power.  I don't see anywhere on the packaging or on Benefit's product page that this is waterproof but holy mascara Batman, this stuff is hard to get off.  Whether I'm swimming, at the gym, or even trying to get it off at night with makeup wipes it is hard to get off for a mascara.  But the benefit (ha!) of that is that this stuff will last all day.  Only after like 12 hours will I start to see some loss at the tips of my lashes which makes puts this in the A+ category for participation.

THE CALCULATIONS: Currently listed for $23.00 by Benefit.  The formula stays "fresh" from the day you open it to the day you toss is (hygiene) so long as you do not pump to get product, which is a mascara no-no for all brands anyways.  Because the quality of the formula is consistent from day one to when you toss it I typically push this to the four month mark before I throw it away, but since I use it ALL-THE-TIME it is generally at the end of its life at that time anyway.  Long story short, it comes out to around $0.19 per application if you keep it for four months.

THE VERDICT: Would I repurchase this mascara?  Well, if you couldn't tell from my post above I have repurchased and will continue to repurchase this mascara.  The cost is comparable to a drug store brand if you take care of it.  I love the formula's staying power and consistency.  The brush is super nice and helps this mascara apply wonderfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The BeautifulGorgeousDarling Makeup blog is a place for people from all ages and stages in life so please refrain from use of profanity. Thank you for your comments!