Friday, January 24, 2014

COVERGIRL LASH BLAST VOLUME WATERPROOF HYDROFUGE MASCARA - PRODUCT REVIEW

CoverGirl has had a wide varieties of mascaras over the years all promising new, amazing ways of enhancing your lashes.  To be honest, I have found the formulas in the past lacking in stamina as the day's hours ticked by and the mascara flaked off.  Does the Lash Blast Volume Hydrofuge Masara continue on with the traditions of its ancestors or does it have more to offer?



THE PACKAGING: With its bright orange packaging you might be able to land a plane with a few of these in hand.  The tube also feels larger than your average mascara in diameter.  I do not believe that it is necessarily functional being so large as it definitely takes up precious makeup bag space, but the cap and applicator are of a nice solid quality.  The applicator stem has the perfect balance of flexibility while maintaining a stiffness that gives nice control of application.



THE BRUSH: The mascara brush has shorter bristles that really pack the product on your lashes while helping to separate them at the same time.  For first time users using a brush like this, "you'll poke your eye out!"  (Sorry, I had to.)  The shorter bristles are stiffer than your standard mascara brush which can feel different the first few times of use.  Because of the brush, though, I have not experienced the extra product goop that I sometimes have to scrape off with other mascaras before application.  If I get to actually use more of the product rather than wiping it off, that's a bonus in my book.


APPLICATION: Now let's talk application!  This particular formula in these photos is the waterproof formula and the Lash Blast Volume promises "instant volume and fullness."  The initial application does enhance the volume of lashes but not overly so where it looks unnatural.  I put the mascara on and then took these pictures 12 hours later - and it held up pretty well!  There was slight flaking on the lower lash line and tips of my upper lashes, but no smudging or raccoon eyes.  To put the waterproof ability to the test, I even took this stuff for a test drive at the gym with great success.  That said, it doesn't take an army and a prayer to get this stuff off at night.  Some simple eye makeup remover will do the trick or even a light application of hand soap.

The color i used and pictured is the Brown formula and is a lovely faintly blue-based brown.  The blue hue helps reduce the appearance of redness around the lash line but is not noticeable to the naked eye.  The brush managed to coat both sides of my lashes which made for quick application and now that I think about it, I didn't have any mascara mishaps with an accidental blob and I believe that is because of the shorter bristles and cone-ish shaped brush.

THE CALCULATIONS: I have seen this sold in the U.S. between $6.99 - $8.99.


THE VERDICT: I'm a CoverGirl believer...well, at least when it comes to this product.  Of the drug store brand waterproof formulas I have used this one is one of my favorites so far.  Despite the annoyingly large packaging, the applicator, coverage, and durability has me sold.  I love the natural look the brown color gives and can only imagine how hot the black color would be for a night out or for a crowd stopping a standout eye look.

3 comments:

The BeautifulGorgeousDarling Makeup blog is a place for people from all ages and stages in life so please refrain from use of profanity. Thank you for your comments!