Thursday, January 30, 2014

RIMMEL VOLUME ACCELERATOR MASCARA - PRODUCT REVIEW

"You get what you pay for," we have all heard this saying since what feels like the beginning of time.  It has been embedded into our brains that if you pay more you get something extra out of it and yet, we find satisfaction in finding a bargain or "getting your money's worth."  Whether you are buying a car, books for school, or something as simple as a mascara we want to get a deal.  That is just what I was looking for when I picked up Rimmel's Volume Accelerator mascara.



THE PACKAGING: For reasons I cannot explain Sir Mix-a-lot plays in my head every time I pick this mascara up.  "Baby's got back."  This tube is larger in diameter compared to your average mascara tube and will take up precious limited makeup bag space.  I do, however, like the clear tubing that surrounds the actual mascara tube for nothing other than aesthetic purposes.  I think that was Rimmel's attempt to make it look expensive and unobtainable?  The fun top does make me happy with its ombre yellow to silver transition.



THE BRUSH: It is neat and then it is weird all at the same time.  I really like the teardrop shape of this brush as it helps get those hard to reach lashes in the inner corner of your eye.  What is so odd is that the brush is only on half of the applicator wand; it is completely flat on the other side.  I guess they do this so there is even product distribution on the one side of the brush but it takes some getting used to when using for the first few times.  The bristles themselves are pretty standard, not too thick, not too thin, but they're a little further apart which is how it is able to grab so much product and "volumize" your lashes.  Because of the way the brush is designed it does not work hard at separating your lashes so if that is a look you desire it will take some cleaning up after application.

APPLICATION: Let's get down to business.  The application of this volumizing formula is fairly smooth and is not overly thick or chunky.  

The "Extreme Black" color that I selected is a blue-based black so if you have baby blues or beautiful browns this will enhance your eye color.  It is a pretty standard black, though, in comparison to other drug store brands.

Another thing to note is the lifespan of this mascara.  It does flake as the day wears on so if are cursed with blonde eye lashes like me they'll start to look shorter and shorter as the hours tick by.  Personally I like my mascara to last me longer than 8 hours.

THE CALCULATIONS: This product is sold locally for around $8.99.  I found that mine started to get a funky smell after about 2 months so I had to toss it.  With that said you're looking at around $0.15 per application which is lower cost for mascaras.



THE VERDICT: For the price this product is sold at I think there are better drug store options out there such as CoverGirl's Lash Blast.  The brush was interesting and I actually kept the wand to use later after cleaning, but the shorter wear time and the bulky package won't find its way back into my bag any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The BeautifulGorgeousDarling Makeup blog is a place for people from all ages and stages in life so please refrain from use of profanity. Thank you for your comments!